OUR JOURNEY THROUGH LENT 2015
Lent is the annual time of preparation for Easter. It is an extremely ancient part of the life of the Church, going right back to the very earliest centuries of our Christian history. At the beginning it was a time of intense preparation for those who were to be baptized at the Easter Vigil and in many ways that is still at the heart of it. But it is also a time of renewal and conversion for those already baptized as, through a programme of Prayer, Fasting and Almsgiving, we all get ready to renew our own baptismal commitment at Easter. Once again this year I offer you the following:
- Daily Mass can be for many an excellent way of entering into Lent
- Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. This available for an hour before each weekday Mass. Few people come for the full hour. Most tend to come in nearer the time for Mass, even if it is only for five or ten minutes. So why not give it a try?
- SCIAF This has long been a fixture in the calendar during Lent. The Campaign material, including the Wee Boxes, is a very important aspect of Lent every year and is a very practical way of practicing almsgiving over the coming weeks.
- The Lenten Penance Service. This is in many ways the climax of our journey of renewal and conversion. Coming as it does just before the celebration of Holy Week, it brings together everything we have been doing throughout Lent. This year our Penance Service will take place on the evening of Wednesday, 1st April. So please make a note of it now.
- Lenten Booklets: There should be enough to provide at least one for each household, so please make sure that you get one and use it.